The Immigrant Experience Project
The best way to learn about immigration is to examine the experience of a particular immigrant group. Here is your task:
1. Create a poster (use the size provided by Mr. Bell) to tell the story of your immigrant group.
a. Your poster should contain TYPED answers to the questions below.
· When did they come to America?
· Why did they come to America?
· Where did they settle?
· What struggles (if any) did they face?
· What discrimination (if any) did they face?
· What contributions did they make to American culture?
· What successes has this immigrant group enjoyed (ex: the Irish – helping to complete the Erie Canal)?
b. Your poster should contain ONE carefully, selected image that conveys an important idea about your immigrant group’s experience.
c. Your poster should contain a REFLECTION that explains what you learned about immigration from researching a particular immigrant group
3. You may choose from the following immigrant groups:* Mexicans * Germans * Irish * Japanese * Chinese * Russians / Poles * Italians * Scandinavians * Cubans / Puerto Ricans * Vietnamese (search for “Vietnamese Americans”)